Founded in 1923…. and growing more every day!
The Mt Sinai Institutional Baptist Church was founded in 1923. The Reverend and Mrs. G.W. Dunson organized the Mt. Sinai Church in the Holliman home, and then located on the corners of Argonne Drive and Sherman Avenue in North Chicago. A fire destroyed the home of the Holliman family and claimed the life of a Holliman daughter, resulting in the church disbanding for a period of time.
In 1925 the late Reverend W.F. Barrett of North Chicago was called as Pastor. Under
his leadership, Mt. Sinai Baptist Church was erected at 18th Street and Dickey
Avenue in North Chicago. This was the first time the congregation of Mt. Sinai
Church was able to worship in an actual church edifice. Shortly thereafter, the first
cornerstone was laid which was inscribed as follows:
Mt. Sinai Baptist Church
Rev. W.F. Barrett
Sara Barrett, Rufus Barrett
H.C. Montgomery Sr., L.M. Montgomery, J.P. Romans
Under Reverend Barrett's leadership, Mt. Sinai grew both in membership and spirit,
and the first choir was organized. Reverend Barrett served 16 years, enriching
God's Kingdom on earth.
Reverend W.D. Kilgore was called to assist in the leadership of the church in
December 1941. On February 19, 1943 he was elected to the Pastorate of the
church. Under his leadership, an expansion and remodeling program was begun in
1949. Major renovation was made, adding to the church and upgrading its
appearance. During his Pastorate, Mt. Sinai also underwent a name alteration.
Formerly known as Mt. Sinai Baptist Church, it was renamed Mt. Sinai Institutional
Baptist Church to emphasize the commitment to spiritual education.
Growth in the community led to urban renewal projects. Federal funding was
provided for these projects for purpose of banishing substandard housing in the
area while providing homes to attract buyers. This required that all buildings
between 14th Street and Argonne Drive relocate, including Mt. Sinai. On March 26,
1961 a ground breaking ceremony was held on Argonne Drive to commemorate the
beginning of the "new" Mt. Sinai.
Pickus Construction & Equipment Company worked to build the new edifice and on
July 18, 1965, the dedication service was held at 2401 Argonne Drive, the new site
of Mt. Sinai Institutional Baptist Church. Reverend Kilgore continued in his capacity
as Pastor until January 31, 1970 when he passed away.
Associate Minister Reverend Solomon Smith served as Interim Pastor. On September
18, 1970 Reverend Smith became Pastor and the church continued to grow. A wing
was added during Reverend Smith's tenure to accommodate the growing membership
and provide additional educational facilities in the lower level. The church was also
able to pay off the mortgage during Reverend Smith's tenure as Pastor.
Reverend Solomon Smith left Mt. Sinai in September, 1991 and Reverend Horace
Montgomery became Interim Pastor, serving until November, 1992. Associate Minister
Reverend Louis Gilbert was elected Pastor on November 12, 1992. He officiated his
first service on December 6, 1992. In celebration of the new leadership, an installation
service was held on January 24, 1993. Due to the extended illness of Reverend
Gilbert, Reverend Horace Montgomery was again asked to carry on as Interim Pastor.
Reverend Gilbert passed away January 6, 1995 at his home in North Chicago.
Reverend Gerald Wilcoxon was called to Mt. Sinai as Interim Pastor in February, 1995
and on June 15, 1995 Mt. Sinai unanimously elected Reverend Wilcoxon as Pastor.
Under his tenure, Mt. Sinai Institutional Baptist Church has exhibited remarkable
growth, both numerically and spiritually. Under his leadership, the following ministries
have been started, expanded and maintained: Children's Church, Couples, Culinary,
Discipleship Development, Drama, Evangelism, Food Pantry, Glimmer of Hope,
Hospital, Jail, Library, Media, Military Care Package, Mountain Men Choir, Singles,
Women for Christ, Nursery, Praise Dance (youth, teen, and adult) True Worshippers,
and Youth. Under Pastor Wilcoxon, eighteen sons and daughters have been called in-
to the gospel ministry.
Reverend Wilcoxon was given the vision to expand the church edifice for God's
Kingdom Building. Mt. Sinai began Waiting on the Vision in 1999. In the year 2000, we
began Keeping the Vision Alive by voting to follow Pastor Wilcoxon's Vision from God. The church body voted to approve a $2.4 Million Building Expansion project
which was spearheaded by Dr. Daisy M. Brooks.
The ground breaking ceremony took place on July 8, 2001. During the building expansion project, worship services were held at the North Chicago High School auditorium and mid-week services were held at the Foss Park Youth Center and Daisy's Development Resource Centers. On December 15, 2002, Mt. Sinai went from Vision to Victory, and took a Victory March from the high school to the newly remodeled church and educational Wing. The church was dedicated back to the Lord on January 12, 2003. On June 3, 2007, Mt Sinai Continued the Vision by adding a 8 AM Morning Worship Service on Sunday Mornings.
We have come to this far by faith and with God's help we will continue to go forward.
"l can do all things through Christ which Strengtheneth me." Philippians 4:13